Sunday 25 November 2012

The Tiny World of Terrariums

Inspired by a book I read, I decided to make a few moss terrariums. A terrarium is a glass jar or container in which you create a tiny ecosystem. I love all things tiny, so I thought it might be an interesting change from the usual dollhouse projects.  


I needed some some moss, so I went on a hunt through the small blue stone alleyways around my house. 


I used a few small jars, some peat moss soil, some sphagnum moss (for a filtration layer) and some pebbles to help drainage at the base. 



I found some railway figures and placed them in their tiny world; then placed their world on a shelf.


These hikers are comparing maps, they must be lost. 


A little herd of cows enjoys its hilly pasture. 



I found a very small jar. 


It now has tiny lovers in it. 



5 comments:

  1. The cows made me laugh! So cute! Wonderful idea to make a miniature terrarium. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi, thought it would be a nice change from the dollhouses!

      Delete
  2. Hello Emily,
    What fun! The look great and are such a wodnerful way to display miniatures.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever idea - love the chair and the terrarium on the cabinet set in your bookcase. Great display and so off-beat with the people inside the terrarium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use little railway people! I want to try this at home.

    ReplyDelete